Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Suggestions for a beginner

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Suggestions for a beginner « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kniphofia  Send Kniphofia a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 03:43 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I've not grown vegetables before - mostly because my gardens were too small and I needed all the space I had for flowers. I'm busy planning and imagining for my new garden and would like to consider a few vegetables. I've never met a vegetable I didn't like so I'm open to suggestions for something to try, maybe something I could buy as a young plant in Spring?

Sue Central Maine z4

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 04:11 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well if you buy zucchini, just plant ONE! They are quite beautiful and easy, have lovely flowers. I like to grow carrots, tomatoes, red and green peppers, green beans and all sorts of things. Planting lettuce both early and late is great because I love salads. Chard Bright Lights is gorgeous and yummy too. I like planting flowers in between the veggies, things like sweet peas, nasturtiums and marigolds. Garlic and onions are fun to grow as well, although the garlic gets planted in the fall. Another fun one is beets. There are lots of good books on this that you can probably find at the library. I love to grow eggplant, but I caution you that it is not always successful in our climate. Like artichokes and canteloupe, they love heat.

gardenbug Ontario, Canada zone 5b, USDA zone 4

Monique  Send Monique a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 04:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Eggplant! I love them all.. the small pretty ones and the large ones,deliciously grilled ..
You could also consider some herbs ..
Lovage would anchor one side well.(It gets big)
The small gourds Kaveh planted were delightful amongst flowers..I don't have enough space for veggie gardening..But Sue..I too have never met a veggie I don't like..! Good luck!

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Kniphofia  Send Kniphofia a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 05:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

What a great suggestion! I love eggplant! Gourds sound like fun too. I also want to try beets, I like the greens as well as the root. This is going to be so exciting!

Thanks!

Sue Central Maine z4

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright ©2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com