Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
We made a Worm Farm

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Composting and Soil Amendments-Archives » We made a Worm Farm « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gardenshowlady  Send Gardenshowlady a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 09:25 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Yep, we did. Not a real elaborate sort, but I think the red wigglers will be happy.

And I thought you might like this link all about worms.

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/worms/

And after scrolling thru this link, I still can't find the answer to my 6 year olds question:

"Do Worms Yawn?"

Carolyn SC Zone 8a

Kvilledude  Send Kvilledude a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 03:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Gardenshowlady, my compost bin turns into a worm bin over the winter. Since I don't have a lot of greens to add during the winter besides the coffee grounds I get at work, the worms really move in and by spring the pile is crawling with the little red squigglies!!!

Kvilledude North Carolina Zone 7

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 03:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

So, do you know the answer? Do worms yawn?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Carolyn SC Zone 8a

Ladybugkaren  Send Ladybugkaren a private message!

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 12:23 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I see this post was entered a year ago, but I'm wondering how you made out with your worm farm? My plans are to order some of the darling kitchen pets so I can treat my soil. Any advice you can give me will be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Karen

Ladybugkaren,NB,Canada,4b

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 01:59 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well, it is funny you would ask...

I did not have enough holes in the bin, so it did not do so well as a 'worm farm'...
I turned the whole bin into the compost pile and started over. The new bin has much bigger wholes.

Starbucks will give you all the coffee grounds you can take. Worms love them! you don't have to order any fancy worms....just go to the nearest bait shop to get the red wigglers.

Gardenshowlady

Ladybugkaren  Send Ladybugkaren a private message!

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:46 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks Gardenshowlady,

I take it you have to provide a lot of air holes? And what about odor? Are you experiencing any at all? One more thing - how many worms did you start with and how much casting do they produce? (I know, that was two things.)
Who'd have ever thunk I'd be asking if worms poop a little bit or if worms poop a lot. I could never have dreamed I'd want or need to know! LOL
Karen

Ladybugkaren,NB,Canada,4b

Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:11 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

here is a really good link for Vermicomposting...

http://www.wormwoman.com/acatalog/index.html

Gardenshowlady

Hspivey  Send Hspivey a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:08 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I live on a high sandy hill about 7 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and if I raise worms will I be able to release any into the sandy soil. I hae found worms under the oak trees when I went to plant something. Should I just use them to make worm whatever? BTW the crab apple photo looks just like 5 egg casings that I guess are spiders that were hung by mama under the eves of my house. About an inch in diameter. They are grey, but look like Xmas balls hanging there.

Helen Florida Zone 9a

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com