Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Birdhouse ..Just finished..

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » Birdhouse ..Just finished.. « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Monique  Send Monique a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 09:10 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Here is one of the finished birdhouses(Crafts forum)..that will go outside on a pole in the front garden.I will hopefully have a pretty clematis scrambling up or a cup and saucer vine.
I am really pleased with the way it turned out.Too much snow for me to show you outside!

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Gardenshowlady  Send Gardenshowlady a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 09:50 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Monique, that is just the sweetest! How perfect for your garden~

Carolyn SC Zone 8a

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:18 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Carolyn..I still LOVE yours..
I bet you do too..Thank you.

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Deb  Send Deb a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:10 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

That looks fantastic! The copper rooftops are really a nice touch. Bravo Jacques!

-Deb-Ontario Zone 5

Carolyn  Send Carolyn a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 06:52 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

They look too beautiful to put out in the elements. How will the copper weather??

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 07:08 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The copper should get nice and old and tarnished looking..I like OLD things.. and new of course but there will be no way to control the elements.
The next one will have a special touch.
A gentleman friend at work has a lathe like Bernie..He made me the little decorative toppers all rounded like a Taj Mahal...
I thought it was so nice when I walked into the office and they were on my desk.
His wife is a landscape architect.
She gave me white pentstemon last year that I cannot wait to see.
They are a unique ,gracious couple.
I'm glad you like the bhouse.I have been wanting one for a long time.

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Bonitoad  Send Bonitoad a private message!

Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 09:35 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Monique....I see a problem emerging this spring.....lots of birds lining up to rent these houses.

Bonitoad Canada Zone 7b

Ej  Send Ej a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 10:04 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I think you should make a itsy bitsy flag to hang of the perch that says "GardenBuddies Welcomed".

EJ So. Calif Zone 10a

Clary  Send Clary a private message!

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 12:15 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Monique those turned out really nice !! They'll look even better after they get weathered. How neat that your friend made those cute little toppers for you.

Clary
California Zone 9

Plantynut  Send Plantynut a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 05:53 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Those lucky birds.

Arlene Zone 7 Long Island, NY

Kvilledude  Send Kvilledude a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 07:42 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Monique, I made a copper penny bowling ball gazing globe (that was a long description) and sprayed the pennies with a solution of miracle grow fertilizer in water (2 tbsp per quart of water). This gave the pennies a very nice verdigris finish. If this is the finish you want, you might want to try this on the roof of your gorgeous birdhouse.

Kvilledude North Carolina Zone 7

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 08:43 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I like the verdigris idea very much..That's all? Miracle Grow and the water? Will do..I must go check my Garden shed to see if I have any..I just bought Monty's Joy Juice for this year.
Hmmm..In doing stained glass I also have a product that gives this effect..I wonder where that is.
Thanks for the tips.
I was wondering if anyone had ideas for other roofing materials..For outdoor houses..

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Susanq  Send Susanq a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 09:39 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Your birdhouse turned out great, Monique. The copper roof is charming and the verdigris would look beautiful. How about a thatched roof bird house, like an English country cottage? I'm sorry I don't have any suggestion for a material to use to accomplish the look though.

SusanQ - Zone 4b-5b Wisconsin

Quebecvox  Send Quebecvox a private message!

Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 11:47 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Congratulations !!! You did a great job. You will have a lot of visitors this summer. The guest houses are so inviting.

Louise Quebec Zone 4B

Gardenshowlady  Send Gardenshowlady a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 11:56 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Monique, I have been thinking of using some car license plates folded over to serve as the roof for a few of the 'shabby-chic' birdhouses my boys have made. I thought they were so clever.

I also made a butterfly house that I used broken tiles to do a mosaic roof for.

rty

Carolyn SC Zone 8a

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 02:20 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Great ideas!!
The cedar shakes could work well..I have something called(Shim wood) I'll try and see what I could fashion..To give it an English Cottage look..
The ceramic tiles sound perfect too Carolyn..I love working with cement and mortar and grout etc..I could just find old plates and broken pieces too..You know like those pretty tabletops..
Thanks so much..
This is the best place for creative suggestions.
And The Garden Buddies Welcomed is a nice idea too(I had already had that in my mind for one)I thought I could put things that remind me of all of you.

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright ©2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com