Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Hypertufa Troughs

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » Hypertufa Troughs « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kvilledude  Send Kvilledude a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 04:33 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Here's the thread from the Garden Forum that Monique wanted me to post here.

The basic recipe I used was 2 parts peat moss, 1 part portland cement, and one part builder's sand. You break the peat moss up and screen it to remove any small sticks and such. I used a bucket to measure my ingredients out. I measured out the peat moss and sand first and mixed it thoroughly. Then I added the portland cement and mixed it in. One word of caution: use a face mask when you get to the part of adding the portland cement because you don't want to breath it. Then slowly start adding the water and mixing it in well. You basically want the consistency of a very thick batter. If you get it too runny, it won't allow you to build it up the sides of your containers. Take whatever you want to use as a mold (styrofoam cooler, pots, pans, plastic drywall troughs) and line them with trash bags. You can even did a hole in the ground and fill it with the hypertufa mixture. Start adding the hypertufa mixture and packing it in well. Once filled, make some holes in the bottom for drainage. (I partially made my holes with a stick and then waited until later and used a masonry drill bit to finish drilling the holes.) Seal your container in plastic. Keep it in the plastic for about 48 hours and then you can unmold the trough. At this stage the trough is not cured and is somewhat fragile, but you can take a wire brush and rough up the outside of the trough to give it a more rustic appearance and take out any creases the plastic trash bag may have put in it. Put the trough back in a plastic bag and keep the trough in a shady area. On a daily basis, open the plastic bag and mist the trough. The slower the trough cures the stronger it will be. Continue this for about two weeks and then remove your bag and your trough is done. Some people allow the trough to stand outside for about a week and once a day or so spray it down with water to help leach out any unreacted lime from the portland cement. I did this but don't really know if it is necessary. There is a lot of controversy whether this is necessary. Some people allow their completed troughs to season for six weeks before planting in it while others plant in it after the two weeks curing in the plastic bag. Hope this helps. If you need any more help, feel free to ask.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kvilledude North Carolina Zone 7
http://community.webshots.com/user/nckvilledudes

Monique  Send Monique a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 05:44 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks Miguel..I will try and create something..I must ask..Is portland cement a brand name? Or is it any cement?
I have a mix that I use for stepping stones would this work?

Mnique Québec Zone 5

Kvilledude  Send Kvilledude a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 07:28 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Portland cement is a specific ingredient that goes into the making of concrete. From all I have read, you really need to get it versus using anything else. I bought mine in a 50 or 80 pound bag at Lowes and it was labeled as Portland cement. I am sure most other home improvement stores carry it also.

Kvilledude North Carolina Zone 7
http://community.webshots.com/user/nckvilledudes

Sheba  Send Sheba a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 07:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I wish I could find a 50 pound bag. The only thing I've found around here is 90 pounds!

Sheba - Indiana - Z5

Cahenry  Send Cahenry a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 05:46 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have made a birdbath and a bunch of edging blocks with hypertufa so far. I want to make some troughs and other things.

This is the birdbath - a very simple dish and not coated so it is very porous.

Its pretty fun and there's lots of room for experimentation. Hauling the big bags around is the hardest part. It does get messy mixing the stuff up - but hey - that's part of the fun.

cahenry (Cathy) GA Zone 7

Sheba  Send Sheba a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 08:40 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Cathy, your birdbath is perfect among the flowers! I think this will be my next project.

Sheba - Indiana - Z5

Janet43945  Send Janet43945 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 01:40 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I like this am going to try and make some too.

JANET OHIO zone 5

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright ©2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com