Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Early Tomatoes

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Early Tomatoes « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 07:36 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Let me start off this topic with a tomato thread. I'm starting to think about next seasons garden and need some better early tomatoes. I need something that will mature quickly but I still want that wonderful flavor. So, let me ask what are your favorite early tomatoes for (1) Eating (2) sauce (3) canning ???

Your Garden Buddy,

Greg, NDZ4

Euphorbphreak  Send Euphorbphreak a private message!

Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 08:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Greg, my favorite early one is the Moskva, a nice medium red tomato at about 60 days, for eating. I grow a lot of Russian and Siberian tomatoes since they perform outstandingly with our chilly spring and summer nights, which means they are also very good early tomatoes too since they will set at lower temps. I also like the Paul Robeson brown tomato, but it's closer to 75-80 days. I really love tomatoes!

What did you grow this year? When did you start them and how did they do?

David, the other CA, USDA z9b, WG z17

John_ny  Send John_ny a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

A couple of years ago, I grew some called Siberia, from Russia, and some called Glacier, from Sweden. These are determinate varieties that can take the cold better than main season varieties. They have small fruit, like a golf ball, or a little larger, but you can set them out a month earlier. I planted the seed, in the greenhouse, on Jan. 1. By the time we put them out, in mid April, they already had fruit on them. The first ones were ready in late May. Then I planted some main season ones and, lastly, one called Burpee Long Keeper. We picked the last ot those, green, just before frost, in November, wrapped them in newspaper, and ripened them indoors. They lasted until March so, that year, I had tomatoes from the garden for 11 months; every one except April.

Greg - I lived in Moorhead, (next to Fargo) for two years and, I guess, you would have to set them out a little later than mid April, and pick a little before mid November.

John_ny USDA6/7, Sunset34

Cricket  Send Cricket a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 10:59 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

For an excellent tasting Canadian variety, try Glacier, but the fruits are small with green shoulders. Sophie's Choice is a wonderful tomato that is a hair less early, but will yield much larger fruits that are more uniform in color.

Also, for a change, may I recommend Zarnista. The compact growing plants produce smallish crack resistant fruits with an astonishing flavor,

If you'd like to try something totally different, try Yellow Bell Tomatoes for canning. These extremely productive in indeterminate plants will bear in 60 days and produce a meaty fruit that will can well.

Cricket

Kniceone  Send Kniceone a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 05:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I grew the yellow plum tomatoes 2 years ago and although they grew well and quickly, when canned they lacked the zing of red tomatoes. I won't be growing these again. I usually plant Bonnie Bests. But we don't get any to eat til mid-late August. In order to have table tomatoes early I start grape tomatoes in Feb. & have crop by early/mid July. I plant the grape tomatoes in large pots and grow on the patio. In pots I can move them for maximum sunlight.

Jodi, ONT, Z4, Great White North

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com