Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Hypertufa Leaves

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » Hypertufa Leaves « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kvilledude  Send Kvilledude a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 07:52 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well Saturday morning I decided to try my hand at leaf castings using hypertufa as the mix. I got 5 big leaves off my Sum and Substance hosta and used them as my molds. Here are some pictures of how the five castings came out.

Now I just have to figure out how I want to paint/stain/finish the leaves and what I am going to do with them.

I was going to try a cardoon leaf but it was so large and intricate that I thought I would start off with smaller hosta leaves first. Now I am looking at all leaves as possible casting materials.

Kvilledude North Carolina Zone 7
http://community.webshots.com/user/nckvilledudes

Sheba  Send Sheba a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 09:12 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

They turned out really great! They would make nice bird baths.

Sheba - Indiana - Z5

Frostycurls  Send Frostycurls a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 09:44 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I had fun doing that last year too. Hosta leaves are great. I made a birdbath with a rogersia leaf. I really liked the way it turned out. birdbath

Penny Oregon Zone 7

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 05:57 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Way too cool Penny. I really like that leaf shape. What did you use to finish yours off with? It almost looks like a metallic finish?

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 09:18 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I just did a quick wash with some concrete paint from the craft store. I thinned it and brushed it on very quickly as I just wanted to bring out the veining with very little color.

Penny Oregon Zone 7

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 12:23 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Penny, what color concrete stain did you use? Thanks for the info so far.

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 09:50 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

It was called patio brick. I thinned it and brushed it on and then almost as quickly used a dry brush to brush it out as all I wanted to do was high light the veins and didn't want to leave much color.

Penny Oregon Zone 7

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 05:04 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks so much Penny

Bloomorselse  Send Bloomorselse a private message!

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 12:37 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Penney that is beautiful. This is a bird bath I made with cement. Used a plactic one and filled the empty base and but it off.
Birdbath
I still can't figure out how to resize my pictures to fit properly, so I had to cut off most of the picture to make it small enough.

Joan B New Brunswick Canada Zone 4b

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com