Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Raspberries

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Raspberries « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cahenry  Send Cahenry a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:26 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Its November 20 and look what I found in the garden today.

We just planted these in July this year. I know, we've been warned. They will spread rampantly. But my DH loves fresh berries so we'll struggle to keep up with them. But just look what we'll have to sustain us in the process.
We got the divisions from a neighbor who has lots but just lets them spread. I was thinking of training the canes up on wires supported by posts at the end of the row starting next year. Maybe add another row from divisions taken from the roots as they try to spread. The first row is about 15 ft. long.
Anybody else growing these on purpose.
BTW - they're not as common here as in climates farther north - so they're more of a luxury as a crop. They cost a fortune in the stores.

cahenry (Cathy) Zone 7

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:37 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

What a great picture. Lucky you are to have berries now. If I ever make some raspberry wine, may I use your photo on my label?

Your Garden Buddy,

Greg, NDZ4

Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:51 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Absolutely, Greg, you may use it. I think I will get better ones next year. I'm anticipating buckets of berries.

cahenry (Cathy) Zone 7

Pink  Send Pink a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:01 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

What a beautiful photo. You will be busy when they all start producing.
Meg

Pink ND Zone 4

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 07:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Cathy I grow a row of raspberries about 30 feet long. Half are early ones, half late fruiting. The early ones have a better taste. There are NEVER enough. I eat them while I weed, on cereal, on ice cream, even have them in a green salad with pine nuts. The late fruiting ones get cut to the ground at this time of year. The others are thinned out so that only new shoots that have never fruited remain. These are fastened to horizontal wires about 2-3 feet apart. Not my favorite task- but worth the effort! I mow to each side of the row to eliminate the spread of these monsters. Also need to feed and weed them.
I grow asparagus which is another addiction....

gardenbug Ontario, Canada zone 5b, USDA zone 4

Bonitoad  Send Bonitoad a private message!

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 03:25 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This brings back memories of lunch time in the garden....was it only a few months ago? Snacking on beans, pockets full of peas, yummy tomatoes and then raspberries for dessert.....then back to weeding....

Bonitoad

Zeeby  Send Zeeby a private message!

Posted on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 11:47 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This was another of my "lost in the time warp questions." I love berries! Even the wine idea sounds good. But, where I grew up, most berries (except strawberries) were "wild" and I wouldn't have any idea how to "plant" them and get some started... but I'd sure like them, in spite of any briar issues that may come along with it, and the risk of being taken over. How about a little education for me?

Zeeby, Texas, Zone 8zB

Kniceone  Send Kniceone a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 12:07 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

We had an 80' hedge of raspberries. I don't know if early or late but we would get 2-3 qts. per day or more for a period of two weeks or so. They were located at a property we rented but have subsequently sold. Before we sold I transplanted 6 plants here at home and last year I had a real good crop - but the birds kept beating us to the berries. Hopefully this year there will be more canes.

Jodi, ONT, Z4, Great White North

Click to see a larger profile photo of Cahenry

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 05:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

We're starting to get ripe raspberries - just a handful at a time right now but it looks like there will be lots more. They've spread since their planting in July last year - and we've and have plenty of rain so far. I think this patch is off to a good start!

cahenry (Cathy) GA Zone 7

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com