Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
I did it!

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » I did it! « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 02:36 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I planted seedlings of
tomatoes
eggplants
sweet peppers
melons

Then I planted seeds for
kale
beans
peas
beets
chard

Then guess what? Yup, white stuff came pouring out of the sky:hail. Good ole mother nature is at it again!

gardenbug Ontario, Canada zone 5b, USDA zone 4

Susanq  Send Susanq a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 08:11 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I sure hope your seedings didn't take too much of a
beating, GB! Rain would have been nice, but hail?

SusanQ - Zone 4b-5b Wisconsin

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 08:25 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Great! I did a lot of work last weekend on my veggie garden. This year is really good for me. I was able to get my peas in really early and the are already climbing up about 12 inches. My leaf lettuces are now baby-leaf size and can be harvested. My garlic is growing great! I just harvested 15 pounds of rhubarb last night. My beans are already sprouting. Radishes should be ready to harvest in a couple weeks. Last weekend I got all my tomatoes and peppers in. This year I'm growing:

Tomatoes:
brandywine
giant valentine
sioux
stupice

Peppers:
Thai dragon
Cayenne
Serrano del sol
Bulgarian carrot

Oh, I also planted my cucumbers and I'm trying a new one, an asian bitter melon - it's kind of like a squash. my carrots, beets, and basil seeds have gone in too.

Usually I can't put many things out until June. This year has been very early for us.

But, interestingly, my chives and iris have not bloomed yet and those are usually the first things I see.

Your Garden Buddy with his smile back!!!
Greg, NDZ4

Euphorbphreak  Send Euphorbphreak a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 10:48 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh Greg, I love your taste in peppers! I've got some serrano, jalapeno, Hungarian hots, Thai dragon and other mouth watering types on the way.

You will love the bitter melon...called "ku gua" in Chinese. It's great in soups, and a nice way to fix it is to cut in half, carve out the flesh, use the chunks in soup, then serve in the half-melon.

I have a dumb question. I planted radishes from seed. How do you know when they are ready to pull? I hope somewhere I wrote down when I planted them. They are looking kinda big.

David, the other CA, USDA z9b, Sunset z17

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 11:18 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

David, you should see the radishes plump out. Harvest when they are as big as you like, but don't let them go to flower, as they will become bitter.

Have you grown bitter melon? Can you tell me if it is a vine that will climb or something that likes to sprawl on the ground? I have limited space, so would like to grow it on a fence.

Your Garden Buddy with his smile back!!!
Greg, NDZ4

Sheba  Send Sheba a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 11:21 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

This is my first attempt at planting vegetables. I built a raised bed for my parents and I'm doing ALL the work now! I planted beets, scallions, carrots, tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers and radishes. I have harvested radishes.

I'm learning as I go! I pull radishes as I'm thinning them. They seem to be popping up out of the soil. The ones I've pulled are small but sweet.

Sheba - Indiana - Z5

Euphorbphreak  Send Euphorbphreak a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 12:17 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Greg, I grew them one year but sacrificed the space they had to tomatoes. They are climbers and should love having a fence to crawl up. They are tendrilled, so do need something to wrap around as they climb.

GB, did your seedlings survive the hail?

Sheba...great job! Nothing better than that first meal of the summer with nothing but veggies from the garden.

David, the other CA, USDA z9b, Sunset z17

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com