Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Finished Hypertufa Leaves

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » Finished Hypertufa Leaves « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kvilledude  Send Kvilledude a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 08:53 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Finally got around to finishing up my hypertufa leaves I made earlier. First I painted them with some interior latex paint that I had that was a chartreusey color and then toned them down using an exterior grade wood finish in a shade called avocado that I used to stain my arbor. If I place them outside I will probably have to add a polyurethane coating but for right now they are going in the house as decorative accessories.

Kvilledude North Carolina Zone 7

Mzmunchken  Send Mzmunchken a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 01:28 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Very Nice!!! Love the color

Trish ~ North Florida ~ Zone 9a

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 01:42 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks Trish. The leaves I used were from a Sum and Substance hosta so I was trying to mimic the color sort of. :-)

Frostycurls  Send Frostycurls a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Time
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 02:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Those turned out great, you did a nice job getting a good color

Penny Oregon Zone 7

Jak3  Send Jak3 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 06:48 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh, how cool is that! Did you post somewhere how you do this? It looks like fun!

Julie; Merrickville, Ontario, Canada, Zone 4

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 07:06 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Julie, I did post how to make the hypertufa mix and how to make the troughs in a thread titled hypertufa troughs, but not how I did the leaves.

To make my leaf castings, I used the same hypertufa mix I used to make my troughs and mushroom. Some people use a different formula for the leaf castings where they mix 1 part Portland cement with 3 parts sand and enough water to make a thick batter like consistency. This formula is supposed to give much more detail in your final product but my hosta leaves turned out just fine, in my humble opinion, using 2 parts peat moss, 1 part portland cement, and 1 part sand. Next time I might try the other recipe to see if I can tell any difference.

To make leaf castings, I prepared a flat workspace and covered it with plastic. I made mounds of sand and lightly misted them to get the sand to stay in mounds. These mounds are where you lay your leaves you are making castings of so that they do no lay flat and so that you get a three dimensional final product. You can make the mounds of sand any size and shape you want but I just mounded mine so that they were the basic shape of my leaves and with more sand in the middle of the pile and tapering down to the sides.

Once your mounds are prepared, lay your leaves top side down on your piles of sand and begin layering your tufa mixture on the backside of the leaves. You need your tufa mixture slightly thicker than cake batter so that you can apply it to the back of the leaves and have it stay in place, but moveable enough so that you can work it to the edge of the leaves. I put down a layer of tufa mixture and then laid in some strips of drywall mud tape. The kind I used was yellow and meshlike in appearance. Then I laid another layer of tufa down on top of the drywall mud tape to completely cover it. I then covered all my leaves with some plastic and let them sit for 48 hrs. After that point, I was able to lift the castings up and peel the original leaves off the castings themselves. I used a knife or sharp awl to work the pieces of leaves out of the castings that were tightly adhered. After curing for about three weeks, I applied my finish color. How and what you use to finish your leaves is up to you and depends on where your final pieces are going to be displayed (inside versus outside). A lot of people use concrete stain and a concrete sealer to paint and protect their castings. Mine are going inside so I used interior paint and a wood stain to finish mine. Hope this helps.

Bloomorselse  Send Bloomorselse a private message!

Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 06:57 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

These are great. Thanks for the instructions. The only large leaves I would have around would be rhubarb. I actually saw this is a magazine one time, but never seem to have the time to try it.

Joan B New Brunswick Canada Zone 4b

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 04:14 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Joan, I actually planted some rhubarb this spring so that by next year I would have some leaves to try out doing leaf castings with. I currently have some cardoon leaves and that will be my next attempt.

Jak3  Send Jak3 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 12:20 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hey, great, thanks. A friend and I are planning to do some troughs when her DH mixes some cement for fence post supports. I will print these instructions and will look for the thread about the troughs too. Should be fun!

Julie; Merrickville, Ontario, Canada, Zone 4

Tropicalfreakfla  Send Tropicalfreakfla a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 07:28 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

hi,
i'm new to the forum. has anyone tried casting palm fronds??? or banana leaves??

thanks,
tropicalfreakfla

Tropicalfreakfla - Florida, Zone "10A"

Sunnyday2day  Send Sunnyday2day a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:36 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Super job, Miguel! I've never seen the hypertufa painted before...looks great!

Sunnyday2day - Michigan, Zone "5"

Periwinkle  Send Periwinkle a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 12:31 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Welcome to Gardenbuddies Creed
Boy, I don't know if anyone has tried casting palms or banana leaves but that sure would be a really neat thing. The shapes so big and well-defined, would add visual appeal to the garden bed.

Denise--Northern Wisconsin, Z3b Click to hear a voice greeting from Periwinkle

Starzgarden  Send Starzgarden a private message!

Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 08:19 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Fabulous!

Starzgarden - Michigan, Zone "five"

Terryk  Send Terryk a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 08:19 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The look real! Great job.

Terryk - NY, Zone "6"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com