Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Espalier Tomatoes?

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Espalier Tomatoes? « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 01:02 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to grow tomatoes using the espalier method. I try to put too many tomatoes together in my small space and every year I end up with a jungle and I can't reach the inside. I thought I would place a fence system for my tomatoes to grow on, do a little pruning and train them to grow only in the direction of the fence. I think the tomatoes would get more air circulation and it sure would be easier to harvest and tend the plants. Do you think the yields would go down by doing this?

Enjoy Summer! You're gardenbuddy, Greg, NDZ4

Caracol  Send Caracol a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:17 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Interesting question, Greg. I'd like to hear about that, too. I didn't know that there was a way of growing tomatoes as espaliers. I've always felt that they could do with lots of support, so a structure would be great.

Are you growing those tomatoes in a greenhouse or outdoors?

Caracol - Southern UK - Zone 8

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:41 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Last year I used steel posts and flexible fencing to make tomato fences. This allowed me to access the tomatoes from both sides. I think it worked really well. I kept them kind of trained to the fence - but they did bush out a little bit. I had much better luck with growing lots of plants in a small space without fungal rot. Also, the light could reach all the way to the bottom which was great for the plants.

Here are some pictures for you showing them throughout the season:

June 25 - Tomato Fences - tomatoes small

July 5 - Tomato Fences

July 26 - Tomato Fences

Aug 2 - Tomato Fences

Sept 19 - Tomato Fences

Greg, ND Zone 4 Click to hear a voice greeting from Greg

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com