Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Earth box

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Earth box « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Goswimmin  Send Goswimmin a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 08:19 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I had recently seen a wonderfully healthy tomato plant at our local Cooperative Extension office in Georgia and it was growing in this black box with black plastic around it. I asked about it and was told it was an "earth box". I looked it up online and it was rather expensive. It is designed so that you don't have to fertilize or water, I think.
The plant growing in it was just superior.
Has anyone tried this product?
Mary

Mary Wenger Georgia zone7

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 09:16 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I have heard of them but have never tried them. I have heard good things about them though. I found instructions on the web for making something similar to the earth box. Here's the link:

http://lynnreinhard.homestead.com/container.html

Enjoy Summer! You're gardenbuddy, Greg, NDZ4

Goswimmin  Send Goswimmin a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 06:40 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thank you so much Greg for the information, I printed the site and it looks great.
The Earth Boxes are very expensive and this looks like a good substitute.
Mary

Mary Wenger Georgia zone7

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 12:34 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

If you make them, please let me know how it turns out!

Enjoy Summer! You're gardenbuddy, Greg, NDZ4

Jbosavage  Send Jbosavage a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 05:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

The Earth Box may be expensive, but once you buy them, you're all set. Just fertilizer the next year.I guess you might dump the potting soil as you see fit also. My cherry tomatoes were excellent last year and this year my Big Boy tomatoes are coming on strong. The plants (2) are as tall as the first floor of my house.
So, I'd recommend them ;-)

Jbosavage - NY, Zone "?"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com