Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Tomatillo

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Tomatillo « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Periwinkle  Send Periwinkle a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 08:18 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

My GB friend, Elvis gave me some of these and I thought it such an interesting, attractive plant. Have any of you grown these? Denise

periwinkle No. Wisconsin z3b

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 08:59 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Yes I have. Is that fruit i see on yours? Generally, you need two plants for fertilization and fruit set, but I think they are developing varieties now that don't. They can grow very big - wide and bushy. I had a tomatillo jungle a few years ago. Also, the fruit that falls comes back a thousandfold in volunteers. I haven't grown them for 3 years and I'm still pulling seedlings out of my garden. They are neat though.

Enjoy Summer! You're gardenbuddy, Greg, NDZ4

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 09:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Greg: Thanks for answering. I actually have 3 plants in the garden & there is fruit setting for sure.
I have a question though. How do you know when they are ripe? Do they turn orange or brown? How do they taste? Thanks. Denise

Ej  Send Ej a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Ej

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 09:21 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Tomatillos here are green and medium firm when ripe.

Ej So. Calif Zone 10a

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 08:15 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Actually, tomatillos are really under-ripe when they are green and firm, but I that is when they are best for cooking and making salsas. Yes, they plump up and become firm - the husks may or may not split, depending on how big the fruit gets. If you let them stay on the plant until they ripen, they will turn a yellow color and become just a little bit softer. They develop a very different flavor and a touch of sweetness. You never see ripe tomatillos in the stores. I think most people don't care for the flavor and like them younger and tarter.

Jak3  Send Jak3 a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:54 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I also grew them a few years ago, and they were extremely productive. We had them green and we had them yellow. We used them like tomatoes, but my family wasn't all that thrilled with them, and we went back to tomatoes. Like Greg says, you'll have volunteers for ever! I occasionally buy them because they are unique and different, and I like them for a change.

Julie; Merrickville, Ontario, Canada, Zone 4

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 10:55 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Thanks EJ, Greg & Julie: Now one more question--a recipe for making salsa? My friend, Elvis, is wondering also & posted this ? on Social Gallery. Do either of you have a recipe? Thanks. Denise

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:56 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I posted some information about how I make salsa in the garden recipe forum. Just be sure you husk and wash the tomatillos well. They have a sort of sticky substance on them.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com