Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Remembering the fresh veggies today...

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Remembering the fresh veggies today... « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gardenbug  Send Gardenbug a private message!

Posted on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 09:09 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Many vegetables I grow because they are so beautiful. First of all is garlic, which is already in the ground overwintering for next year's crop.

garlic

Garlic chives are fun too as they are among the last flowers to bloom in the garden. These were taken at the end of August but will last a good while longer.

chives

Then there are the cabbages which get eaten, but look so nice while they are growing.

cabbage

And the tomatoes that got me a scolding from a certain webmaster for being off topic.

tomates

gardenbug Ontario, Canada zone 5b, USDA zone 4

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:21 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh, I remember that garlic picture from that other site. Thanks for posting it here. I too love the beauty of vegetables. Here's a couple of shots from my garden this summer to add to the list.

(click for a larger pic)

Your Garden Buddy,

Greg, NDZ4

Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 03:52 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Hi Greg!
I love growing beets but didn't manage to plant any this year. In the past I grew 3 different kinds and all were great fun: yellow, bull's eye and Detroit.
Is that mint growing in the 3rd picture? Do you contain it somehow so it doesn't spread too far? I have rosemary, now indoors. Is that the last photo?
Is the second photo of beans? I'm not sure of that one.
Happy planning for next season!

Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 01:19 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh yes, I love fresh beets. I just convinced my wife to try them as she just hated beets. All she ever had were those awful canned pickled beets. No wonder she had the aversion to them. Anyway, she is now a convert. I love beets roasted in a hot oven until they are sweet and caramelized. Yum. I just rub them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and pop them in until they are done. My favorite way to have beets is in an Indian style beet curry. Oh, the flavors. I haven't tried garlic chives before, but I think I may this year. I do grow garlic - usually a german hardneck variety. For some reason, softneck varieties don't do well here. I have about 100 planted now for next year.

The second picture is a cucumber vine climbing on a tomato cage. The third picture is Thai Basil. I love it's anisey/minty flavor. Very different from Italian Basil. Used a lot in Thai and Vietnamese cooking. Last is the rosemary. Mine is also sitting indoors under lights. It grew well outdoors this year. I actually trimmed it way down and stuck a lot of branches in a vacuum bag in the freezer. I've never frozen it before so I'll see how it works. I think it has to be better than dried.

Here's a few more (click the pics to enlarge)

Ever look at the underside of an eggplant? This is the asian variety, Ichiban.

I love cilantro (corriander) after it has gone past its prime and starts to flower. I collect the corriander seeds for cooking and planting next year.

How about some gourds on the fence?

Your Garden Buddy,

Greg, NDZ4

Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 02:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Roasted beets ARE TERRIFIC! I wonder why I never knew about this until last year.
As for eggplant, that is one of my favorite plants. Some years they don't do well here because they need lots of sun and heat. I can't seem to find my photos yet, but their flowers are very pretty too.
This was taken in October.

harvest

Add this to any of the veggies and enjoy!

thyme

This is lemon thyme.

Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:19 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wow. Nice looking aubergines there. And are those fresh small purple plums from your own tree? I love those. Can't find them anywhere in the grocery stores. I tried a yellow tomato variety this year - shoot, can't remember which - one i picked up at the local greenhouse after my heirlooms froze. I wasn't happy with it at all. The production was not great and the taste was just blah. They do look nice though. I forgot to mention that I have several kinds of mint growing. It is very invasive. I have it separated from the garden by sort of a rock filled drainage ditch. Even so, it tries to snake it's way over so I have to stay on top of it. I have spearmint, chocolate mint, another variety I don't know, and lemon balm all planted on the side of my garage. I also grow lavender, sage, parsley, dill, lemongrass, ginger, tarragon, and will try perilla (shizo) this coming year. I do love herbs. Oh, of course, chives too. I don't have any thyme yet, but I will be adding some to the garden in the spring.

Your Garden Buddy,

Greg, NDZ4

Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Yes, those are plums and we love them. I have planted a new Reine Claude plum tree and hope to see fruit on it some year soon! They are green plums when they are ripe.
As for mint, we only have wild mint growing near our pond. I like it for Tabouleh salad. Do you make that too? I grow parsley for the salad as well. A great summer meal with tomatoes and lots of lemon juice in it.

Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 09:48 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Yes, I love tabouleh. I am a big fan of different grains and cook with bulhgar wheat a lot. One of the reasons I started my perennial garden was to grow some of the perennial herbs. Inspired by my neighbor's garden, I started planting other plants.

Your Garden Buddy,

Greg, NDZ4

Andy_p  Send Andy_p a private message!

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 09:14 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

It takes a new guy to revive an old thread.
I think veggies are beautiful too.
This a Bell Pepper from last season.

I admired this one on the vine so long it went bad on me.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

Lilybeetle  Send Lilybeetle a private message!

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 10:03 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Inspiring. I cannot think of a vegetable that I do not like - though there are many exotics that I have never tried cooking - most of these are imported. I was thinking I might try a few veggie containers this year. Edible beauty. Have you tried growing any in large pots with success?

Lilybeetle - Ontario, Zone "4B"

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 11:17 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Lily, all my veggies are in the ground where they can have root wiggle room. I don't have to fuss with as much watering either.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

Valia  Send Valia a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 05:24 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

More pictures, please. This is a beautiful thread.

The beauty of the edibles in the garden is underappreciated.

Plant Forum

Anne, Washington State, Zone 5

Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 07:22 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I'm with you Anne, Who takes pics of veggies when the flowers are so pretty? I do, I do.

Some 'Green Goliath' Broccoli, yummy.
}

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 04:15 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Oh goody, more people and more activity on this forum!!!

Here's a couple:

Greg - ND, Zone "4"

Valia  Send Valia a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Garden Journal
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 05:28 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Here's a winter tomato -- grown indoors from a cutting taken just before the fall frost.

Plant Forum

Anne, Washington State, Zone 5

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 06:05 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Greg, Those "Peas N a Pod" look great. Very good.
Valia, You must have a mighty big window sill, looks good enough to eat, lol.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

My Favorite Photo
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:58 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

How about some tasty Blackberries.

Andy_p - MA, Zone "6b"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com