Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Bowling Ball

Garden Forum » Archives » Techniques and Designs-Decorating Your Garden-Archives » Bowling Ball « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Blooming  Send Blooming a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Blooming

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 05:39 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Someone here posted a bowling ball that they covered in Pennies, and I can't find the thread!! I need to know what was used to glue the pennies to the ball, and did you groud it? Also, how many $ worth of Pennies did it take? Thanks for any help..

Blooming Central Texas Zone 8a Click to hear a voice greeting from Blooming

Gardenshowlady  Send Gardenshowlady a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 07:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Georgia, I have not done one yet, but i know that it takes $5.00 in pennies. The recommended glue is the GE silicone II Whether or not you grout it is up to you. I saw one that was done on a blue ball, and the copper was such a nice offset that she chose not to grout it at all.

If you do one, be sure to post a pic! I would love to see it. I have pennies...maybe one day I'll have the time.

Carolyn SC Zone 8a

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 08:12 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Carolyn, I think you might have to wait 'till all your kids are grown , then not only will you have the time, but then you'll actually have pennies of your own!!LOL Thanks for the info, as soon as things cool down, I'm going to try it. I've done them with glass beads and with small river rocks..but I think pennies will looks spiffy.

Kvilledude  Send Kvilledude a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 06:17 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Georgia it was me that posted the picture of the bowling ball covered in pennies. Any exterior silicone caulk or adhesive will do. I bought the Walmart brand which was sitting right next to the GE Silicone brand and several others have found that it works just as well as the GE brand and is cheaper.

As to the number of pennies it takes to cover the ball, it really depends on several factors. First off is the size of the ball. The things come in a variety of sizes including smaller sizes for kids. Secondly, it depends on how much of the bowling ball you want covered. I put as many as three layers on mine in some places because I wanted to completely cover the ball. I couldn't tell you how many I used because I started off using a big bag of pennies that I had saved up at home and then went to the bank and had to get at least three more rolls to finish it up.

I also left the thumb hole open so that I could put a pole in the ground and then slip the thumb hole onto the pole so that it would stand up outside. One other thing is that I sprayed mine with a solution of two to three tablespoons of Peters fertlizer mixed in a quart of water to get it to develop that verdigris patina. I allowed the ball to sit in the garage for a couple of days to allow the chemicals to start working and then put the bowling ball outside. Over the course of several weeks, the verdigris began to develop and it wasn't washed off by all the rain we had this spring and summer.

Kvilledude North Carolina Zone 7

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 02:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

thanks Dude..I hadn't even thought of the idea of the stake..I think I want to layer the pennies on like you did,too. I like the idea of covering the whole thing...As soon as it cools off, I'm going to try it..I wonder what would happen if I sprayed it with Ironide?????

Kvilledude  Send Kvilledude a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 06:04 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

If my concrete is any example, ironite on pennies would probably just make it have brown spots if that is possible on brown pennies.

Kvilledude North Carolina Zone 7

Gardenshowlady  Send Gardenshowlady a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 06:33 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

That is a wonderful penny ball, Miguel. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Carolyn SC Zone 8a

Vtskiers  Send Vtskiers a private message!

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 11:01 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I never would have thought to use pennies. The ones I've seen have been covered in half marbles and mosaics which are also very nice. We have some friends who bowl. I wonder if they ever have old bowling balls they want to get rid of?

Sue Central Connecticut Zone 6a

Karalyn  Send Karalyn a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 01:16 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Can someone else post some of their penny balls. Sue, your bowling ball that you saw sounds really neat.

Karalyn Idaho Zone 6

Lynn  Send Lynn a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 09:31 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

an idea I thought of was broken mirror on a bowling ball. I thought of it just after I got rid of mine! I havent made it yet

Lynn - georgia, Zone "8"

Nonacook  Send Nonacook a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 02:05 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I tend to disagree about the type of silicone to use, altho it may depend on your climate. I used 100% silicone liquid nail for my first 2 BBs and everything fell off. Then I went to the one most recommended--GE silicone II for windows and doors and have had no more problems. I have covered BBs, and plastic baseballs, and softball size (4-pack from $Tree) and they are holding up well.

Nonacook - Florida, Zone "8b"

Csrliz344  Send Csrliz344 a private message!

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 12:02 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

A good place to look for BB's is Freecycle-I got 11 in one week. Now I just need to start doing something with them

Csrliz344 - Ohio, Zone "5"

My Weather
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 07:06 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

can someone post their penny ball? I cant see that x-ed picture!

Lynn - georgia, Zone "8"

My Weather
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 07:09 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

maybe bowling alleys have cracked or damaged ones they will give away! Im going to check this week but im going to do a cracked mirror ball

Lynn - georgia, Zone "8"

Karalyn  Send Karalyn a private message!

My Weather
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 10:29 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Lynn, I've seen the penney one here i believe and I bet Garden Web might have a photo by someone there.

Plus if you got to Decorating Scents TV show or Home and Garden Mag. There are usually ideas on those websites. Or any cable show that is featured on HGTV or Home Garden TV.

Karalyn Idaho Zone 6

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com