Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Susan's Tomato Report

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Susan's Tomato Report « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Susanq  Send Susanq a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Susanq

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 10:05 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

After reading Greg's report I thought I would show you what is performing in my tomato garden in SE Wisconsin. Here is what I have harvesting in the last couple of days:

And here is my tomato patch. This year, in order to try to avoid septoria leaf spot disease (which is a constant plague here) I planted my tomatoes into bags of top soil. I cut openings in both the top and bottom and then mulched them. I also bought drain traps and put them around the base of each plant to deter caterpillar. Last year, humongous big green caterpillars defoliated my plants!

As far as performance, the Cherokee Purple started out great but has fizzled out. They are a great tasting tomato though. The Sweet 100s have invaded the entire patch! I think I'll not plant any mini's next year. I really like the taste of Prudens Purple but I love them all. At the end of the season I will starting freezing them whole to use in soups and stews.

SusanQ - Zone 4b-5b Wisconsin

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 07:22 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Wow -- looks great! You grow all of those in that spot? I have tried better boys and of course sweet 100's, but never the others you have. I've thought about cherokee purple too but haven't tried it yet. Can you comment on the taste of some of the others?

Greg, ND Zone 4 Click to hear a voice greeting from Greg

Susanq  Send Susanq a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Susanq

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 08:46 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I only have one of each plant, Greg. Actually, there are a couple of plants that are wilting for some reason at the far right of the patch which you can't see. As far as flavor, my favorites this year are the Prudens Purple and Cherokee Purple but Cherokee just isn't producing new fruit for some reason. Husky Gold has a nice, mild flavor too and I love to see a variety of color on the platter! Of course, I have several basil plants too!!!

SusanQ - Zone 4b-5b Wisconsin

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com