Gardenbuddies.com-Where friends meet to share their gardens
Greg's Chili Report

Garden Forum » Archives » Edibles in the Garden Forum-Archives » Greg's Chili Report « Previous    Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Greg  Send Greg a private message!

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 03:24 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I love hot peppers! This year I grew four varieties of chilis -- Cayenne, Thai Dragon, Serrano del sol, and Bulgarian Carrot. Most have been very productive. The bulgarian carrot peppers have been the least productive. They taste ok green, but have some trouble ripening up to their nice orange color. All of these are spicy . . . the mildest being the serranos.

Serrano del sol -- 5,000 scoville units
Cayenne -- 50,000 scoville units
Thai Dragons -- 40,000 scoville units
Bulgarian carrots -- about 25,000 scoville units ??

The serranos I usually eat fresh with salsa and pickle some in jars with carrots. They provide that nice heat for salsas and mexican foods. The cayenne peppers I will dry and use as a ground chili for seasoning various dishes. The thai dragons are great with vietnamese soups and in other dishes. I like to make a hot sauce out of them. So, these will go into the freezer until I have them all harvested. i will then cook them down with some vinegar and salt, and process it through a food mill. This simple sauce is great. The bulgarian carrot peppers, I'm not sure what to do with yet. The one orange pepper on the left is a bulgarian carrot -- then Serrano, thai dragon, and cayenne in the drying tray.

Greg, ND Zone 4 Click to hear a voice greeting from Greg

Ej  Send Ej a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Ej

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 03:45 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Outstanding Greg! Now I want salsa.

Ej So.Cal. Zone 10a Click to hear a voice greeting from Ej

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 04:35 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well, wouldn't ya know, I just made some !!!!

Ej  Send Ej a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Ej

My Favorite Photo
My Weather
My Garden
My Time
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 05:02 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

I got the margaritas so come on over for a pool party. Its over 100 degrees today.

Ej So.Cal. Zone 10a Click to hear a voice greeting from Ej

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 05:55 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Not that much cooler here -- almost 95. But at least it's a 'dry' heat. Margaritas and a pool sounds really nice. But I have a friend from Canada here today who will be eating my fresh salsa and spicy garlic chili hamburgers topped with a big fat slice of my fresh brandywine tomatoes. I think we'll drink some Peach Wine and hang out by my garden.

Euphorbphreak  Send Euphorbphreak a private message!

Click to see a larger profile photo of Euphorbphreak

My Weather
My Time
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:38 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Looks great Greg! One can never have enough Scoville units. I harvested a lot of Serrano del Sol today, with lots more to come, but didn't know they were good green too. I let them redden before picking. Are they just as good green?

David, the other CA, 9b/17

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 08:20 pm EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Well, I wouldn't know. They never ripen to red here. I only find green serranos in the grocery store. It is similar to a Jalapeno which is also usually eaten green. I wonder though -- the red Jalapenos are smoked to make "chipotle" peppers -- I'll bet smoked serranos would be just as good. Usually when chilis are ripened they take on new distinct flavors. I'll bet it has some nice sweetness to it that complements the heat. Can you describe the flavor of a ripe serrano?

My Weather
My Garden
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 09:00 am EST :   Last Buddysize PhotosCopy highlighted text to new message Print Post

Here are the cayennes all dried up. I usually dry them for 12-24 hours in a slightly warm (180-190 F) oven. A dehydrator would probably work also.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this archive.

World Clock
Pacific Eastern Japan Finland Germany Australia Russia

Copyright 2003 - 2008, Gardenbuddies.com