Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Guff
    Are these still growing under lights, day lily seedlings in the background?
    Jeff

They will be grown under lights in my basement through the Summer to Fall. Yes they are daylily seedlings, probably around 300 seedlings I have growing.

Guff I have come to this thread late. It is an interesting experiment. What had you done to the seed before you posted your first picture? How long had the seed been in the pots? Warm moist stratification? Cold moist stratification? Tell me more.

I had planted the seeds outside in a bed during the summer. Each cross I did had it's own row and I wrote down on paper where each cross was. I prick the seeds out and put into cups.

Thanks for the additional information. I will try it with some of my seed this year. I love an experiment.

Fresh ripe seed is the key to good germination rates, collect sed as soon as it is shed let it mature for a coupel of weeks in a dry well lit place and then sow into a free draining mix or directly into the garden. There has been a long held dogma that seed needs to undergo warm stratification and then chilling to break the dormancy. While this may well be the case low germination rates are common if the seed dries out either prior to sowing or during the time in seed pots or garden soil. With fresh seed germination rates should be close to 100% for hybridus seed. Seed from opposite hemispheres definitely needs warm stratification to germinate. Rates also vary with species, the viability of niger seed drops off quicker than hybridus.

About nine months old. They are decent size, but would have had more leaves using Miracle Grow. Going to plant them outside this weekend. Second picture is what they would have looked like if I didn't prick them out of the bed and grew indoors.
    1 Year To Flower 10 10 2014.jpg

Hellebore Seedling 10 10 2014.jpg

thank you for the pictures and the information

Very advanced growth for 9 month old seedlings. Agree that nutrition is a key element.
    Have had some interesting discussions with hellebore grower from Japan. He has accelerated germination time of seed by warm moist stratification followed by chilling for the same time. Seed then begins to germinate as the seeds are brought up to room temperature.
    This gives a huge reduction in germination time compared to the usual times associated with germination.
    The trick the is to have growing temperatures controlled to facilitate growth. As temperatures increase growth comes to a standstill.
    He has achieved short times to flowering using his methodology but it almost requires laboratory precision

They look very healthy to me! I hope they bloom soon for you!

Same cross, dug this one up in October. Had one leaf at the time. I'm using full strength Miracle Grow.
    1 25 2015.jpg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast