Thread: Sad News

Default Sad News

Many will be aware of Judith Knott Tyler, either from her book, mentioned earlier on this very page, or from her nursery Pine Knot Farm where she had great success, along with her husband Dick - who took all the photos for ther talks etc. I'm sorry to bring the very sad news that Judith has died. - this from Dick and their family:

To All the Friends of Judith Knott Tyler,

Earlier this week Judith was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer. It was impossible to treat, and earlier today Judy passed away. We know this will come as a shock to many people since most did not even know she was sick. What started two weeks ago as a case of pneumonia has led to a place none of us could have imagined.

Judy first went to the hospital for the pneumonia, and thatís when we learned of the existence of growths in her lungs. She came home to finish recovering before further tests would be done. Last weekend we had to take her back to the hospital for breathing difficulties. As she was being treated, she had a number of scans performed. It was Wednesday evening when we learned the nature of her cancer and that she only had days left. During the entire last week in the hospital, Judy was sedated. She felt no pain. Even amidst the chaos of the past few days, Judy died peacefully surrounded by family.

Judy touched many lives and her loss is felt by many. We are all joined in grieving for such a wonderful person. Over the next few days the family asks for some privacy. There will be a private Celebration of Life for Judy.

The Family of Judith Knott Tyler

Thank you Jeff for sharing this, I have heard of Judith from her book. How sad, what a great lady. Sending condolences.

Sending myu condolences . All happened in such a short time.

So sad. We lost Sam Jones of Piccadilly hellebore farm in Bishop, GA a few weeks ago as well. I always loved visiting there and some of my favorite plants came from there.

We are seeing the loss of many of the US pioneers of hellebore breeding, not sure who ill come into fill the vacuum

thank yoiu for the information.. Should ther be a coonexion with the plant and the illness.If there is not allowed to cut down a tree people make a whole in the tree and put a piece of helleborus root in it . The tree died

I doubt there is a connection. One died of cancer and died suddenly and unexpectedly (heart attack or stroke I assume). Interesting about hellebore roots killing trees-never heard that before.

Would be very surprised of the hellebore the cause. While the roots of some hellebore species are known to produce toxic metabolites, these are toxic to humans ad possibly animals but no published repots of plant toxicity. In the wild hellebores co exist with a range of plant species.

It is very, very sad. My sincere condolences for the family.

Jeff. I tried to send you and email three times but it bounced back as undeliverable.

Very sad to hear this news, with spring here, to lose our gardening friends.