Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

yes those videos are good.

Yes, they are very good! Love the H. thibetanus. The only H. thibetanus I tried failed. They had a very difficult time with my spring weather. I wonder if different H. thibetanus from a colder region of the thibetanus range might be tolerant of colder springs? Are all H. thibetanus created equal in cold tolerance?

Your hellebore will be bursting soon! I hope the weather is mild with clear skies for you.
    this is my situation;

Oh no! So much snow! Waiting for Spring - your torquatus and the other wilds are so beautiful!!!
    H. thibetanus are cold tolerance. We have sometimes temperatures about minus 20 Celsius. And the plants are fine. I think - the important reason for to grow is the earth. I have in my garden only one place where it grows very fine. That place I used over many years in the Autumn for old leaves and grass cutting and the place is near a wild clematis where a lot of old clematis leaves fall down over many years. The resulting earth is very dark for about 15 cm. Below is hard clay. It is also important that the place is absolutely dry in summer. There is hardly any rain, it is on the fence edge - behind the fence in neighbors garden grow plum trees, which dry up the earth absolutely. I never pour there. H. thibetanus grows very, very well there.
    I think - that may be not a problem of Springflower or coldness - it is a question of the earth. May be.

I started with three over ten tears ago, I moved them three times, now I have one that has not flowered for years. The first location I suspected had been too well-drained. The second site too much sun. The third site I had only one left, and I planted the thibetanus in a hosta bed in the shade with very humus soil, it has survived for several years but without increase or flower. It now has tree roots to compete with. I will have to move this poor hellebore once again.
    Thank you for the advice, I think I will be able to find the space hopefully before it disappears for good.

I feel lucky to have snow, Last year we had very little and it is very hard on plants. Frost heaving can be a serious problem especialy on first year transplants. You already know this, you must have snowless winters with deep freeze at times.

yes we do have harsh frosts without snow here in germany especially in late winter.
    i remember that sarastro, a professional austrian perennial gardener with lots of special plants once said that the pink variety was a bit hardier than the white one.
    i add a photo of my new japanese hellebore book from minoru nonokuchi. my copy is bad because i took it just with lamplight, its very early here and still dark. later i make a better one. thibetanus in the wild:

11 years ago we sunddenly had a lot of snow in march so we still are not were we want to be but I ust not think on it. I am to old to clean a path as you are doing ther i cannot you cannot to else to come somewhere but what a courage

to Bruce: Thibetanus grows at forest edges in nature or in the light forest in the mountains up to 3000 m altitude. It is not the frost that kills the plant. It is difficult to find the right ground. Under my Clematis it is relatively shady in the summer, and there is only a little sun in the afternoon. In winter it is sunny. The wild clematis has stood there for decades. Accordingly, it throws off many old foliage, and also dried up, old tendrils. The floor, which formed in this corner, is very loose and by no means wet. Rather very dry. When they get water, it runs away immediately.
    In addition, I occasionally put shredders from our fruit trees over it. Little, but it protects.
    I was astonished that this plant was growing there - this place was an attempt at desperation. Because I had many thibetanus in other places in the garden - and regularly they died.
    I can only describe the place. Why it is growing there - that is the riddle. But it grows on this place almost like a weed.

marylou thank you very much. Is this area you describe is it spring sun and summer shade?

The picture tells a tale, that looks like an area that has tree blow downs or maybe wood being cut, forest lumber harvest? I assume that if we had a summer photo we would see heavy low vegetation that would be sponging the moisture in the summer months as thibetanus is sound a sleep storing its energy for winter. It would seem to be an opportunist plant. A plant that will sprout and survive many years as small barley alive hellebore until the forest canopy crash down by wind, ice or man. At that time our little thibetanus would grow very fast in this mess of twiggy debris. Flowering profusely and dispersing seed as the forest returns and the cycle starts all over again. This type of behavior is very common in the woodland that surround my location. This may explain why this hellebore may be difficult to place in a garden. It would also explain why my thibetanus has survived for so long. Hopefully it will rise this spring and I will be able to perform a rescue!

What do you think, ??

Roelie, that is my wife Jane. I suffer from arthiritis so I try to stay away from that chore. She likes playing in the snow with a shovel, I prefer to play in the snow on my tractor.

I admire her I think it very heavy work I am glad we hav a very small pave path in fornt of my house 90 cm . I ought to clean it but most people go on the street because cars drive there

to Bruce: In the Spring there is sun. You're right: there are dry remnants of the clematis and dry branches of fruit trees. I suspect that in the summer remains a residual moisture in the soil. In the summer the plants have the shade of the clematis, which often even between the plants ran. They also have shadows of weeds (I am ashamed!). There grows in the summer higher weeds, because this corner of the garden is difficult to access. It is not a bed, but actually it was a corner for remnants of grasscut and foliage to fight the weeds.
    It was more or less a coincidence that Helleborus thibetanus grows very well there.
    As I said before, I was desperate that he was nowhere in the beautiful patches and has lost many of these plants. I was even angry and banished her into this unkempt corner.

Yes youre right: It would seem to be an opportunist plant. I have one of them in another place... and over years I saw nothing. This year it begins again.
    Last edited by marylou; 02-17-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Roelie, we have paths all over, then we have snow shoes to have a look around the garden. We walk everyday on trails through the forest, this time of year with our snow shoes on. I will have to take some pictures. My outside carry around camera is a canon m and the m does not do a very good job with the snow cover, very dificult to take pictures in an environment with all the ulrtaviolet light being absorbed and reflected from the snow. We have fun with the snow, we have too! or we in the north of America become snow birds and migrate south for the winter.

marylou, the weeds wick moisture in the summer season. Winter in severe climates the weeds keep the rhizome from heaving and drying out. Manage the weeds lightly? Plant thibetanus with an attractive groundcover? A plant that would not compete too much but serve as a companion?

that is hard to say. They are smaller weeds. I have today made a picture for you of the situation. The light cover I use only when there is rain and frost during the bloom at the same time, because that does not hold out flowering.
    I think I should make the pics much more greater.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast