Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default H.torquatus from bosnia

20.2=wm0237 Beautiful large flowered torquatus (large for torquatus!)

wm0237.jpg
    wm0237 torquatus tends to have a solid green interior with that very distinct edged rim. Some wm0237 of this group have all green flowers.
    Picture from 2016, hellebore has a new home in the garden (divided). I hope it recovers, we had excellent transplanting weather in fall 2016.

beautiful! I like that plants. I would like to visit your garden just now.

nice color

I have never used the pollen from this torq, thinking this year maybe the year to try some out. Not that the purpose would improve this hellebore, but just curious what influence this hellebore might have.
    I do not line hybridize. I hybridize wide, wayoutside the line. Grow out 20 or so plants and see what gives. Very exciting,you never know what will sprout from a wide, out of line cross.
    Stepping backwards? Not moving forward? Throwingwild genes back into a plant that has been hybridized away from the species?
    Yes, some believe that the species needs noimprovement, I agree. I think a backcross offers the hybridus a big deep breath of relief.

Apart fromflowr possible size these plants cannot be beaten for color by HxH

Jeff this Bosnia hellebore has a large flower 2 inch or larger. It is a larger hellebore than the Croatia H. torquatus. This torquatus will have all green flowers or flowers like this and everything in between. You are right, no need to improve this hellebore, like most of the species it has a beauty all to its own.

Jeff its good to see you here, hope to see often.

Been to FB and have a page, interesting on what has happen in the last four years. Do to illness I have been absent, now back I find everyone is doing what I have done with the inter-species hybrids. But they are from the new school I am from the old school. You do not over collect species from their natural environment and not because it is against the law but because it is wrong. We are only visitors. Old school you aquiare seed from a qualified seed source. Old school once you have a good example of the species you do not need more. You need to carefully propagate and share what you have. In turn this will take preasure off of the species in the natural world.
    I would never dare say this on face book, but I am comfortable of saying this here.

Well below freezing this AM. Glad I still have snow cover!

Bruce it is so nice to see en read you . Honesly being I know not much about helleborus for I knew everything about clematis . I had a lot of them .Learned, a lot of them died and what i replaced are the old clematis which are there for years and where I started with

The 'discussion' re wild seed collection will always be a division between those that see it as a right and those that are more in tune with your point of view.
    Sadly due to the pressure on land for building/roading/farming more and more wild sites are being consumed in the name of progress. It will be the case that sites in remote areas or with a terrain not suitable for development will end up as the only remaining wild populations. So an argument to collect wild seed could be proposed on these grounds. There still a huge amount of hellebore species assignment and diversification studies to be done, hopefully before wild populations disappear to extinction.

I think so. That would be sad.

itīs not only a discussion about seed collection but also about digging up plants especially the rare doubles. and it happens every year. yes and sadly sites dissappear due to construction.
    as momtenegro is a candidate to join the european community a programm has started the last years to raise conscience about wildlife and biodiversity payed by european money. we can only hope the protection starts before everything gets destroyed.
    for bosnia it is the same.
    Last edited by lubuli; 02-27-2017 at 05:02 PM.

I had over looked the removal of plants but have little understanding of how widespread this is and who is involved in the removal. I have seen re[ports in the past about the selective removal of wild doubles but where these pants end up I do not know certainly no public acknowledgement of doing so.
    The analogy with the early Europeans orchid collectors does not escape me where all plants from a wild site that were not removed were destroyed to stop collection by others....

as much i love the japanese helleborescene but sadly they dig out all the doubles they find on their anual trip believing they take only that little what is left after all we europeans have been there.
    just a few days ago a japanese friend slipped and mentioned his 4 collected doubles from last years trip. now big trouble behind the scenes.
    Last edited by lubuli; 02-27-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast