Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sw x htw

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    it is probably time to divide.
    I bet you're right Jeff!

I have never divided or transplanted a hellebore... It doesn't look like other plants (e.g. irises) though that have the inner part die out while they are flourishing around the outside of the clump. It is like if a big part of the plant is simply gone and just a few or even only single flower stalk and bundle of leaves remain.

You should not generalize on when to divide hellebore. Most x hybridus I would think every three to five years benefit from dividing and moving to a fresh location. Species such as torquatus that are slow to mature need much more time to mature. If a torquatus is well placed and appeared happy I would hesitate to divide. That said after a dozen years most hellebores of the section Helleborastrum need division with new placement.

I agree with Jeff that Gaby's hellebore need to be divided and new placement needed. These older plants divide easy with a sharp garden spade. they have rhizomes that grow out from the center. Discard any old bad looking parts and keep your divisions large. I like dividing now after flower before the summer growth or in August when the weather cools.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    it is probably time to divide.
    I bet you're right Jeff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12